National Talent Search Examination (NTSE) is a national level scholarship program in India started in the year 1963. The purpose of the scheme was to identify talented students and nurture their talents. Talent refers to the potentiality that manifests itself in a high level of performance in one or more specialised areas. Therefore, it covers areas like Science, Social Science, Engineering, Medicine, Management and Law. It is organized by an NCERT and it honors and helps talented students by providing financial assistance in the form of a monthly scholarship. For the courses in Basic Sciences, Social Sciences and Commerce, this assistance is provided up to Ph.D. level whereas for professional courses like Engineering, Medicine, Management and Law this assistance is given only up to Post Graduation. The scheme is open to students of Indian nationality. It helps students to proliferate their mental level and also helps them to sharpen their minds.NTSE for the Session 2012-2013
- NCERT will conduct the NTS Examination for students studying in Class X.
- The examination will consist of Mental Ability Test (MAT) and Scholastic Ability Test (SAT).
- Quota for State/UT will be computed proportionally on the basis of student’s enrolment in Class IX and X.
- The amount of scholarship will be Rs. 1250/- per month for all the students studying in Class XI onwards(irrespective of class/course) except for Ph.D., wherein it is paid as per UGC norms.
- The scholarships under the present scheme are awarded to the candidates for pursuing courses in sciences and social sciences up to doctoral level and in professional courses like medicine and engineering up to second-degree level subject to the fulfillment of the conditions.
Students of Class X studying in recognized schools including Kendriya Vidyalaya, Navodaya Vidyalaya, Sainik School etc. of Indian nationality whether they study in India or abroad are eligible to appear NTS examination. There will be no domicile restriction.Scholarship
On the basis of the NTSE, 1000 scholarships are awarded all over India to each student appearing for Class X examinations. Awardees of National Talent Search Examination will receive a sum of Rs. 1250/- per month as per rules.
- 15% scholarships are reserved for students belonging to the SC category.
- 7.5% scholarships for students belonging to the ST category.
- 3% scholarships for Physically Challenged Group of Students.
How to Obtain Application Form
- Option-I: Application forms can be downloaded from NCERT website http://www.ncert.nic.in.
- Option-II: It can be collected from School coordinator also.
Where to Submit Application Form
The completed application forms duly signed by the Principal of the school should be submitted to the State Liaison Officers before the last date. The candidate as well as the Principal of the school must adhere to the last date for submission of the Application Form. Different states may have different last dates for submission. Please confirm from the liaison officer of your state, the address at which the completed forms are to be submitted. The State wise contact of the liaison officers are available in the NCERT website. All queries related to application form should be directed to the State Liaison Officers (LOs). No application should be sent to NCERT.Examination Fees
States and Union Territories may notify the fee required to be paid for the Stage-I examination. However, NCERT does not charge any fee for the Stage-II examination.Eligibility
Students of Class X studying in recognized schools including Kendriya Vidyalaya, Navodaya Vidyalaya, Sainik School etc. of Indian nationality whether they study in India or abroad are eligible to appear NTS examination. There will be no domicile restriction.
For more information, Please Contact
Educational Survey Division
National Council of Educational Research & Training
Sri Aurobindo Marg, New Delhi -110016